Ever notice how whenever something needs to be done to save the day in Star Wars it’s R2-D2 that gets it done? Seriously, think about it. If it wasn’t for R2-D2 talking with a ship or computer system the rebels wouldn’t have a chance. R2-D2 just might be the greatest hero in all of Star Wars!
We’ve chronicled all of R2-D2’s galaxy-saving heroics from all of the Star Wars films. We’re leaving out the books and comics (all “new canon” of course) as well as the Clone Wars (and *SPOILERS* Rebels) series just to make the task a little more manageable. And yes, we recently watched all 7 movies basically in a row to compile this list.
Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- R2 is the only astromech droid that doesn’t get blasted trying to fix the shield generator on the Naboo ship escaping the Trade Federation blockade, allowing Queen Amadala, Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan to get away.
Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- R2 saves Padme when she’s about to get immolated by molten metal inside the droid foundry on Geonosis.
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- R2 zaps the Buzz Droid off Anakin’s starfighter
- R2 locates the chancellor aboard the droid ship during the opening fleet battle.
- R2 takes control of the elevator Obi-Won and Anakin need to get to the chancellor.
- R2 distracts Grevious and the other droids so Anakin and Obi-Won can force-grab their lightsabers back from the General.
Episode IV: A New Hope
- R2 is given the famous message and vital plans for Obi-Won Kenobi by Princess Lea when Vader arrives to take her into custody. He later plays them “by accident” when Luke is cleaning him.
- R2 locks the door during the Stormtrooper door to door search.
- R2 finds that the Princess is being held on the detention level.
- R2 reminds C-3PO to turn on the com-link, and then shuts down the garbage mashers on the detention level. He shuts them all down.
- R2 fixes the stabilizer, and increases the power on Luke’s X-Wing so he can continue the trench run.
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
- R2 overrides the security systems to the docking bay door in Cloud City to help them escape, and eventually save Luke before he falls to his death.
- *Special Note* R2 mentions the hyperdrive on the Millennium Falcon but C-3PO tells him to ignore it
- When the Millennium Falcon’s hyperdrive inevitably fails it’s R2 who pokes around and fixes it so they can escape Vader’s grasp.
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
- R2 hides Luke’s lightsaber until it’s the right time aboard the skiff over the sarlac when he makes his move to free them all. He even pushed 3PO off the doomed skiff before Leia blew it up
Episode VII: The Force Awakens
- R2 wakes when the time is right, having had the rest of the map needed to find Luke.
- *Special Note* J.J. Abrams reveals that R2 retrieved the temple data from scanning the Empire’s mainframe when he was looking for the princess in Episode IV.